How do you keep your Dell Inspiron 1545 battery going for as long as possible?
1. Defrag regularly - The faster your hard drive does its work – less demand you are going to put on the hard drive and your inspiron 1545 battery. Make your hard drive as efficient as possible by defragging it regularly. (but not while it's on battery of course!) Mac OSX is better built to handle fragmentation so it may not be very applicable for Apple systems.
2. Cut down on programs running in the background - Itunes, Desktop Search, etc. All these add to the CPU load and cut down Dell 1545 battery life. Shut down everything that isn't crucial when you're on battery.
3. Cut down external devices - USB devices (including your mouse) & WiFi drain down your laptop battery. Remove or shut them down when not in use. It goes without saying that charging other devices (like your iPod) with your laptop when on battery is a surefire way of quickly wiping out the charge on your Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop battery.
4. Keep the battery contacts clean: Clean your battery's metal contacts every couple of months with a cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol. This keeps the transfer of power from your battery more efficient.
5. Take care of your laptop battery – Exercise the Battery. Do not leave a charged Dell 1545 battery dormant for long periods of time. Once charged, you should at least use the battery at least once every two to three weeks. Also, do not let a Li-On battery completely discharge. (Discharing is only for older batteries with memory effects)