Absorbed Glass Mat or AGM battery charger is known to contain lead plates within them. AGM batteries are different from the others because electrolyte is absorbed into its finely woven fiber mats which are placed between the plates.
This article lists some important facts about AGM batteries and charger that you probably didn’t know about.
- First developed by Concorde aircraft battery back in the 1980’s as cheaper alternative to the more popular Ni-Cad batteries used in naval helicopters.
- Since these batteries were developed for military use they are made to withstand extreme conditions and abuse unlike standard gel batteries. These batteries will not freeze since the electrolyte is inside the glass mats; plus users are assured that electrolytes are kept intact even if the battery is turned over or held upside down.
- The lead plates in the AGM battery charger come in different shapes like round or flat.
- AGM batteries belong to the sealed group, making it maintenance-free. AGMs are considered to be the safest because of “recombinant” property of these batteries. This only means that oxygen and hydrogen are combined inside during the charging process resulting to the formation of water so little water is lost and there is no risk of the emission of hydrogen.
- These batteries can be safely stored anywhere since there are no risks of fumes and/or leakage to occur. They can also be placed and positioned anywhere without getting damaged.
- Another great advantage of this type of battery is how it was constructed.
Its general make up puts the electrolytes closer to the active lead plates, thereby enhancing efficiency of both the discharge and the charge cycles. Charging is relatively faster while resistance is at its lowest. Just the same, there is little damage even if the battery undergoes heavy discharge rates.
- AGM batteries also have low discharge rate so that there is no room for worries even if the batteries remain in storage for an extended period of time. Also, they can also be recharged to almost 95% of their total capacity as long as they are not stored away for too long.
- If used properly, these batteries can have a shelf-life of about five years. Nothing beats in making sure that these batteries are well taken cared of, handled the right way, and careful discharging and charging processes. Some users even report of lasting over 10 years as long as proper maintenance is observed.
- Because of the excellent quality these batteries offer they are a little expensive that your standard wet-set and deep cycle batteries. However, if you consider how sturdy and tough these batteries are you’ll never think of the selling price anymore. Also, they have a longer shelf-life plus gives good quality performance. These batteries give you value for your money.
- These batteries can be used for a lot of different purposes – as starting batteries, as standard batteries in power systems, and deep cycle applications.
So, looking at how advantageous AGM battery charger, what do you think of it now?